Monday, April 23, 2012

A Fish Out of Water No More

WOW! I just want to say thank you to everyone who has been with me on my journey since I started this blog last year. When it first started I was averaging about 10 page views every time I posted. Since January I have been averaging about 50 page views a day and I just noticed that the blog got over 5,000 hits just this month. That's pretty incredible!!! I am sad about the subject matter that is the cause of the initial attention, but I wanted to thank everyone who has stuck with me, and has continued to come back even after I declared this a sad free zone. It really makes me feel like my voice is worth something when I see numbers like that, so thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Now on to my post of the day...

I started my new job today! It was pretty intimidating at first, a new industry, the new lingo, the new... everything. After about an hour, I already started to feel like a part of the group. These people that I will be working with are genuinely nice people, and were exceptionally kind to me all day- even when I did something totally humiliating. I won't post specifics (because really I'm not sure if I'm allowed to haha) but it was big- and dumb- and apparently made me a part of the team officially.

When I worked for Home Depot I really only felt close and 'accepted' because I was in a leadership position. My husband, my boss and a hand full of people were really the only people I felt comfortable around. People I didn't feel like I needed to prove myself with. When I went to Cost Plus I missed that for a long time...There was always a huge gap in between the workers and the management team. Which to be honest, is fine with me. You can't be someones manager and truly their friend- because one will always have to come first at some point. That saying "It's lonely at the top" is true.

Then I got transferred to another store where the other supervisor working along with me and another worker reached out to me and I am so glad they did. They were the only people in that building that didn't make me feel like I was this extra person that just got in their way. Even through hard times, they proved to me over and over again that they could be reliable co-workers AND great friends. I am so thankful to have met them, because for once I knew that our friendship would last- something I honestly can't say for most people I meet.

My experience at this new job was completely different from my past experiences but all in the right ways. I have never in my life walked into a building and felt accepted with open arms. I know it probably helps that I am not coming in off the street as anyone's boss. I am a people watcher, and usually I can spot "that guy/girl" that everyone is avoiding, and my first impressions of people are always scary accurate. I see things before other people do (something that was annoying in high school, but now can be entertaining to watch while the other person figures it out) and I am just so thankful and excited about the people I encountered today. I've never felt this good after a first day (despite my big oops) and I hope this feeling lasts because although I miss my husband like crazy, I am so happy with the way things are going right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment