Monday, October 31, 2011

FAQ about our Muffin

Just in case you didnt get the memo, my husband and i announced with our Halloween costumes that we are expecting a wee one. Here is a photo:
I have purposefully not brought up babies or having a family at all on this blog since i last wrote about it... i didnt want to jinx anything. If you need a refresher you can visit the post here i also promised my friends that my fb wouldnt turn into baby this, baby that. So i am hoping to answer everyones questions here so that i can continue to have some baby free time too- ya know, soak up that last bit of independance before someone is always with me when i need to pee....

Now for the FAQ:
-just a side note, these are the questions i have gotten non stop since we announced it to our family weeks ago and only magnified since we came out on Saturday...

1.What changed your mind? I thought you were still wresting with the decision to start a family or not. What about all the stuff about keeping your independance?
The answer may be disappointing, but i lied. I wrote about it in a previous post, that i had so many struggles when it came to my ovaries that the outlook for kids wasnt so good at first. I was trying to convince myself that i didnt need kids to feel like i had a valid family. That is still true, Kevin could be enough if thats what it came down to. He is more than enough, but when you are given very specific instructions by one of the country's best fertility doctors with the promise that it would work- well, how could i pass that up? It also happened to be perfect timing, the baby is due in June and Kevin graduates from school in May and we can move home and be around our family while we learn the ropes of being new parents. Also, my husband who is a chronic worrier, had a smile on his face when i told him- that pretty much did me in.

2. When did you find out?
I pretty much knew right away because i did a TON of research. We got the 'go ahead' if you will from the Dr with the date that just happened to be the 6 month anniversary of our wedding, so we decided to make it a romantic evening with dinner and a movie at home with lots of candles. The logic was more for me, that even if it didnt happen, i had a wonderful night to remember. I had some cramping right at the 2 week mark and took an early test on October 5th that came back negative. I knew that the odds of an early test were slim so i waited 2 more days and took another test on October 7th that confirmed everything.

3. How did you tell Kevin?
It was really early in the morning on October 7th, Kevin was still in bed sleeping when i snuck off to do the test. My thought behind this was a just in case thing, if i wasnt then i could have some time to cry and compose myself before waking him up. Luckily it was a huge yes so naturally i ran into the room and jumped on him and thrust my (sanatized- come on now people i hate germs!) test into his face. It took a minute before he realized what i was so excited about and we layed in bed most of the morning cuddling my little test and talking about how our lives were changed forever.

4. How are you feeling?
The short answer: like crap. On the day i turned exactally 6 weeks i started getting sick. I think its a cruel thing to call it morning sickness since its all day every day. I would much rather get sick once every morning than 20 times a day. I have gotten a LOT of advise and help from my doctor for this, but its still persistant. I'm just praying that it doesnt last the entire 9 months like i've heard that it can. I am literally counting down the days until my 2nd trimester and i can enjoy this miracle a little more.

5. When are you due/How far along are you?
I am due 6/13/12 but we all know that babies come when they are ready... I will be 8 weeks tomorrow. Right now the baby is the size of a blueberry and it looks like this:

(thats the heart beat under along the bottom) i got to hear it on my last visit. The feeling is indescribable, i will get back to you if i ever figure out how to talk about it) the baby is developing its harms and legs, and i got to see its tiny heart beating.
6. What does being pregnant feel like?
Well right now it kind of feels like im being punished. I know thats a strange answer, but I am not showing yet and there is all this stuff i cant do or have: fish, deli meat, alcohol, exercize, swim... the list goes on and on. I am sure there are people out there who argue that our parents were just fine, but i could potentially turn into a high risk pregnancy, so i am taking extra precautions until my 2nd trimester and doing exactally as i am told. So, its kind of like being grounded from all the things i love, but its completly and totally worth it.

7. When do you get to find out the sex of the baby?
This is the question i dread, because the answer is 6/13/12. We have decided not to find out until the baby is born. Everyone is telling us that we are crazy, telling us how impossible it is to have a baby shower without knowing, and then they place bets on when we will crack. If we do, we probably wouldnt advertise it anyway, this is one thing that i think is pretty sacred- we created this life and we are *mushy alert!* SO incredably grateful, that we honestly dont care if its a boy or a girl. I am horrible at keeping secrets and super impatient, so i am going to keep riding this feeling as long as i can, if it does eventually drive me nuts, i will find out. For now however, not knowing is even more excited. (Psst... we decided to go with an animal theme so all 'baby colors' are included and its takes away from gender specific roles)

8. What is all this 'muffin' business?
It shouldnt come to a surprise for those of you that know me, that i had already planned out how we were going to announce our pregnancy even before i became pregnant. I had the oven and baker idea ready to go and we had talked about waiting to find out the sex before conception as well. We decided that 'bun' was too boring, and 'cupcake' was a little on the girly side. I also didnt like the typical names 'bean, button, little one, ect. It also happened that we knew it would be the size of a poppy seed when we got the positive results... so we called it our 'poppy seed muffin' so we could talk about it in code without letting anyone in. Now, its the size of a blueberry so its a 'blueberry muffin' and it will continue to evolve... even when its a 'cantelope muffin' we will stick with it because it makes our day just to say it outloud.

I hope that answers everyones questions, i would like to say on behalf of my husband and i that we are just so... crazy excited, its hard to contain. Now that the cat is out of the bag we just cant wait for our muffin to be here. Thank you to all of our family and friends who have been so supportive, it means the world to us, and it feels amazing to bring a new life into a world surrounded by love.

No comments:

Post a Comment