Monday, February 20, 2012

Appointments Part 1

Last Monday I had another Dr appointment to follow up my surgery and it was perfectly timed for a follow up to what I was pretty sure was another cyst. I felt it burst on my left side, it was different than past ones because normally I will feel really sore near my ovary like I worked out that one spot and then after it bursts It'll be sore again for a few days later. This one happened when I was walking with my hands full, and the pain was so quick and violent that I dropped everything I was holding. It only lasted for a few minutes and then it was gone.

My Dr said I he could see a corpus ludium on the left side and fluid around that ovary. Both are signs of a recent cyst burst. I don't like that these things happen to me, but I do enjoy being right. (i guess no matter what the circumstance) Cysts aren't the greatest obviously, but he did say that they were a sign of ovulation. I didn't track it this month because I assumed that it would be too soon to ovulate. In the past, he said that I ovulated on only one side, so this was a good thing.

The other thing we checked was to see if my right ovary was still attached to my uterus. When he found it the first time he said that it could become unattached 2 ways: getting pregnant or surgery. We chose to try sooner than later for a baby instead of surgery... I guess in the end I got both didn't I? Does anyone sell tickets to the bad luck lotto? During my exam he said that my right ovary was no longer attached to my uterus but it was high above it, which could be problematic, but it is too soon to tell.

He also discovered a 'shadow' on my uterus. Since it was later into my cycle he couldn't get a clear picture, so he didn't speculate much. Instead I am to go see him again this coming Friday (day 10 of my cycle for those following closely) because the lining on my uterus will be much thinner and they can put water around my uterus to get a better picture of the 'shadow' to find out if it is scarring or something else. He described that scarring from my procedure should be a small circle-ish shape but this shadow was long and line-like which made it hard for him to tell me what it was. If there is one thing my Aries personality isn't good with, is the unknown. Although, I feel like I should give myself credit because I am dealing with it better than I would have thought given the circumstance. I guess everything we've dealt with has led me into a more zen waiting zone. We will see what Friday brings.

He was also curious about how the folic acid was affecting my blood, so he sent me for a blood test to check my Homocysteine levels. Usually this is common to find out about heart disease, but it also tests folic acid levels, and mine came back normal.

Our Dr also said that waiting 3 months seems like overkill. Folic acid doesn't stay in your system, so it's not like I can stock pile it like other medications. Instead he bumped up my 1gram regimen to a 4 gram prescription on top of my prenatal, and it also has some B6 and B12 in there which is good for me in case I do have another sick pregnancy. We decided that regardless of his blessing to get on the baby making early, we want to wait until after my birthday in April. It feels weird to say that, when all I have thought about since all this has happened to us is when we can try again, but I think a part of me knows that I really need this time to get myself together. By that time if we have trouble conceiving, our Dr said he could give me a shot to speed up the process, and I guess it's nice to have a plan B... or I guess that would be C in our case. I find it intriguing what becomes the 'norm' as time goes on, and I guess the hurry up and wait has now become ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment