Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Little Self Reflection

I've been thinking and praying a lot about what God's plan was for me when Mason was diagnosed, and I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't to help others... it was to help me. To help me be a better mom, wife, friend, daughter and sister.

I was pretty selfish a few years ago (it seems like a lifetime away now) and I didn't have much regard for other people. I was one of those people that always had to have the last word, and I definitely thought my words were more important than others. I cared too much about what everyone thought, and I was obsessed with everyone knowing I was pregnant. I always wanted to be right (or sometimes just the loudest). I most definitely put too much value into how many 'likes' our pregnancy announcement got. Sometimes it feels like I'll always be the Cheyenne from 3 years ago in everyone's eyes... that I'll never be able to show people how much I've changed, but I have faith that if I let my actions speak for themselves that older version of me will vanish from their memory.

Maybe it’s my experience in my journey to mommy hood, or maybe it's just wisdom that comes with age, but I don't feel compelled to fight for things the way I used to. Well... I'll always fight for my kids, but I'm able to put perspective on things that I may not have been able to before. The old me didn't shy away from confrontation. Now I can see clearly the things that deserve my attention and the things (and sometimes people) that don’t. Since becoming a mom I've run into a few people who feel like "you're just a mom" or calling me "mom" is some kind of insult. To those people, I can't be compassionate because they have no idea what I've gone through to get that title. They have no idea that being "just a mom" is literally the best thing I have ever done in my life. At the same time, I'm not going to make it my life's battles to educate them. For the 1st time in my life, I'm able to let things, and people go. One day they will get it, but until then, they don't deserve my time or attention.

Ever since our son changed my life I've been able to feel more. More compassionate, more strength, more weakness, I believe in myself more than I ever have and it's made me want to do things for others (in the past I would do them and then hope for recognition), it's made me wake up each day and want to get more out of it (I used to live for the attention of others, and now I enjoy time alone in ways I never did before), it makes me want to be the kind of person I've always admired- and I am always on a journey of self reflection and self improvement to one day accomplish this (but really... this journey doesn't actually end). I know it has 100% made me a better mom. Now, I'm finding that the best moments are not those caught on film or that get attention online, they're the quiet moments alone with my little girl when she hugs, kisses and signs "I love you". Excuse me while I go cry in the corner for a minute...

I was talking to a very dear friend yesterday and I was telling him these things and he said "it's funny how life has a way of humbling us sometimes"... it's funny how he was able to sum up all my thoughts the last few years into one perfect sentence. I love that for every 1 person that doesn't get it, there are 5 that do. I love that for every day that I discover something I may not like about myself and want to work on, I find something that I do like and want to embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment