Sunday, July 24, 2011

Happily Ever After... Oh, there isn't a script for this part of life? Shoot...

Something not a whole lot of people know about me is that i write- all the time. I am currently in the middle of writing two different books, and for some reason i can never finish one, i am constantly bouncing back between the two. I think the problem is that i need a place to get out all the other stuff swirling around in my head out so that i can focus on my other stories. My pen name is Cheyenne Kira, and i thought it was appropriate to carry that name over to my blog as well.

I decided to start this blog because i find myself wondering what other people in our situation are like. I know that we are not the only couple out there that choose to do things the "responsible" way. All i mean by that, is the way that everyone else wanted us to.

My husband, Kevin and i actually met way back in Kindergarten. We joke a lot that if we had known then that we were looking at the future love of our lives, we probably would have spent more time getting to know each other. Instead i went on to date many different guys, and he became a bit of a make out whore. After we graduated high school, we still hadn't figured it out. I was at the end of a tumultuous relationship, and he was basking in the glory of all the diff rent girls that visited the local Safeway just to get a peek of him and his surfer hair cut.

After i finally decided to end my relationship, i was in need of a cuddle buddy. I wasn't as in need as Mila or Justin, but i definitely wanted someone to look at me and make me feel cute. Kevin was willingly that guy, and loves to remind me how he was only supposed to be a rebound and somehow i got hooked. We then dated for over 4 years before he asked me to marry him. I was ready about 2 years in, but he wasn't quite there yet. He wanted to wait until we knew what we were doing in our lives, until we had a solid plan. Finally, we were drunk one night and i somehow convinced him that the perfect time to propose was never going to happen, we would always have something happening and none of it would perfectly fall into place.

We were only engaged for 11 months, i couldn't even wait an entire year to marry my prince charming. We had a wonderful wedding- well it would have been if it had gone according to plan. A sunset wedding on the sandy beach, but freakin mother nature had different plans and we were forced indoors. Although everything that could go wrong did, it was still one of the funnest nights of my life.

I thought we had finished our contribution to society, but it turns out the world had different plans. Now that we're married everyone wants to know whats happening next. The way thing are "supposed" to go, rarely happen that way. So far we have been on the track that everyone has wanted for us. We lived together for 2 years before we got engaged, we had the big wedding, and now everyone is waiting for us to complete the cycle: a house and a baby.

This is where Gulianna Ransic said it best "I Do, Now What?" See there are a few hitches to this happily ever after business. We live in California, and if you know absolutely nothing about real estate in CA, even then you know its almost impossible to buy a house in CA. Who has time to save up money for a down payment with rent, utilities, student loans, one of us still in college, 2 full time jobs, pets and oh yea- time for your husband and you to enjoy each other? Our plan now is to move home when my husband graduates next June. We are very lucky to have both sets of parents who would be happy to have us, but the open ended question of which place to go depends on the next part of happily ever after....

Babies... I'm sure i will have many things to write on this topic but for now i will just say that its complicated. When is the right time to start trying when we know that in less than a year we will be moving home, and what about work? I am on the fast track to success, so where the hell does a baby fit into that? Another hitch in our story is my PCOS. There are many things you can do for PCOS, but the honest truth is that it makes it harder for us to conceive. It will take us longer than most couples, but we are ok with that, because we are still trying to figure out when we are emotionally ready for this.

Even though i have many questions, concerns, and worries i hope to find other people who understand where we come from. There are far too many people out there claiming to know it all, pretending life is perfect when there are a lot of things yet to be discovered. I guess what I'm saying is, welcome to my discovery journey i hope its a nice ride we can take together.

1 comment:

  1. Girl! I know how you feel! It's next to IMPOSSIBLE to buy a house in Hawaii! and in the ideal location. Don't even worry about that. Just take it one day at a time and whatever happens, will work out. You know how I know? Because you guys will do whatever it takes to make it work, no matter what. I wish I knew your husband better but if you chose him, then he must be pretty cool :D

    ReplyDelete